The Best Meatloaf You’ll EVER Eat! I promise!

by Dean Hervochon on September 28, 2011

I’ve perfected meatloaf…and I’m so darn modest!

MEATLOAF – Dean’s Famous!

BROWN SUGAR GLAZE

The Meatloaf Before You Put On The Glaze. This Isn't As Hard As You Think!

3/4 cup –  ketchup and/or chili sauce  – can mix
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
6 teaspoons cider or white vinegar
1 small can tomato paste
3 tablespoons (or more) of balsamic vinegar

Mix all ingredients in small saucepan, cook down for about 5 minutes -set aside.

MEATLOAF – This makes a very large meat loaf.
Heat oven to 350F.
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
3/4 cup whole milk
3 pounds ground beef – use all organic ground beef if you can get it.   85/15  (works great)
1 2/3 cups italian dried bread crumbs
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

6-8 ounces thin-sliced bacon (8 to 12 slices, depending on loaf shape)

Saute onion and red pepper, then add garlic and dried thyme – saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
Set aside to cool while preparing remaining ingredients.

Mix eggs with salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, pepper
sauce, smoked paprika, can of chopped green chili and milk or yogurt.

Add this mixture to meat in large bowl along
with bread crumbs, parsley, and cooked onion, red pepper and garlic.
Lightly mix with forks until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl.

If mixture sticks, add additional milk, a couple tablespoons at a time, until
mix no longer sticks.  DO NOT compact the meat.  You don’t wan’t it smashed into a patty!  Use forks!
Turn meat mixture onto large foil lined baking pan that has been sprayed with “Pam.”.

With wet hands, pat mixture into approximately 12 x 5-inch loaf shape. Place on foil-lined shallow baking pan.  Arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping slightly and tucking bacon tip ends under loaf.  Kinda braid the bacon.  It should cover most of the surface.  Brush on all of glaze.

Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and internal temperature of loaf registers
160 degrees, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Check with a thermometer.
Once cooked – broil it for about 5 minutes to get a great glaze on it.  WATCH IT!!!
Cool at least 10 minutes.
Cut the meat loaf with a bread knife – “saw” through bacon to keep it from coming off.
Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli or corn.

Let me know what you think.

Here is the segment from NBC5 here in Chicago.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Don the Wine Guy September 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Picking out a few bottles of wine to bring as soon as I get an invitation for dinner… just need to know when… just need to know when… drool, drool. :-D

Dean Hervochon September 29, 2011 at 8:48 am

Thank you Don for putting the comment on the blog! We’ll have you over soon. Big Hug.

Sophia Worden September 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

Are you naked in this video clip?

Sophia Worden October 3, 2011 at 8:36 am

I am preparing the meatloaf tonight and I will be naked

Dean Hervochon October 3, 2011 at 3:29 pm

What time shall I be over? I’ll bring the wine…

Rebecca Turner September 29, 2011 at 9:40 am

Sophia, I was wondering the same thing. So are you naked in this clip ?

Dean Hervochon September 29, 2011 at 10:34 am

Well, I WAS talking about meat! (You girls get your minds out of the gutter!)

Lynn September 29, 2011 at 10:45 am

Can’t wait to try this. Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort foods. This coming from you, it has to be the best!

Dean Hervochon September 30, 2011 at 8:07 am

Hey Lynn,
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Have some of your friends over who are good cooks and make this for them. I like to make it with mashed potatoes — use chicken broth, butter, milk, salt and pepper in them. The potatoes are awesome that way. I used to serve it with broccoli but served frozen corn with it the other night — people like it a lot more than the broccoli? I dunno. Let me know and thanks again for the comment. —dean—

Suzanne October 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I would just like to tell everybody that I have had this meatloaf and it is THE BEST I have ever had! (Don’t tell my mother I said that). Hey Dean, could you please demonstrate how you do beef tenderloin? It is amazing!!!

Dean Hervochon October 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Oh Suzanne! The next time I make it I’ll video tape it. Thanks for the sweet comments. xo — dean

Carol November 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

Hi Dean! Can I make this with turkey meat?! I will make it and have you try it if you’d like! :)

Quinn December 3, 2014 at 7:43 am

Hi Dean, it’s Quinn from Thanksgiving! You may remember you were very insistent (some might say demanding!) that I make your meatloaf… and I did! It was a huge hit! Now I’m wondering…I made the one with the “basket weave” bacon listed on your site, but the one you make in your video is very different (mushrooms, etc.)… do you have a favorite?