Best Advice: How To Survive A Tornado

by Dean Hervochon on May 26, 2011

Do you know what to do if a tornado is close-by?  You need to. Tornadoes often strike with little warning. If you’re prepared, your chances or surviving will go up, up, up. I’ve livened-up the advice to help you remember it. This is serious stuff.

Don't Be Caught Dead Not Reading This!

1. Go Down! “Head” to the basement. That’s the safest place to be.  Makes sense, doesn’t it?  And it’s fun to say.

2. UFO’s Kill You! It’s true! Unidentified Flying Objects (or identified!) are what kill most people.  Things can be hurled at you/into you at up to 200 mph. OUCH! If you don’t have a basement, go to an inner closet, inner hallway or inner bathroom on the lowest floor. You want to protect yourself as much as you can from UFO’s. Limit what can hit you and don’t go to Roswell!

This Guy Is Safer Than He Looks...in a Tornado.

3. Cover Yourself! Do all you can to protect yourself from the UFO’s. Cover yourself with blankets, sleeping bags or mattresses — anything to dampen the impact of the objects falling on you or being hurled at you.

4. Wear a Helmet! You’ll look like a dork, but who cares? Your head is the most vulnerable part of your body in a tornado, so if you have any kind of helmet, but it on. If the wind rips all of your clothes off at least you’ll have something to cover yourself. It happens.

5. Get Out of the Trailer Park! That is not a judgment! Mobile homes are not tornado magnets, they just show the damage more because they are so flimsy and weak against strong winds. Get out of mobile homes. You are 35 times more likely to die in a mobile home than in any other type of building.

6. Go to McDonalds! Not the drive-thru dummy! Fast-food restaurants all have walk-in coolers. That’s a darn good place to be if a tornado is headed toward you and you have no place to go.

You Deserve A Break Today —From a Tornado

7. Go Down! (I said it again!)  If you’re outside, get as low as you can and away from trees. Lie down in a ditch, gully or any depression that may shield you. Remember to cover your head.

8.  Don’t Go To The Movies! Even if Thor is on in 3D!  “Long-Span Buildings” are not the place to be if you’re caught in a tornado. Get out if you can. Can you imagine what could hit you if you were in a Lowes or Home Depot? I’d head to the bathroom or “safe-room” if they have one — to protect myself from the UFO’s, but be aware that the walls often collapse in this type of building too. Get in a door way if you can’t escape or under something really sturdy that could withstand things falling on you. Under a counter?

9. Fasten Your Seat Belt, It’s Going to be a Bumpy Ride! If you’re stuck in your car, the stats are mixed as what your rates of survival are. Some say get out, some say stay in your car. I’d certainly put on my seat belt and try to cover my head if I got caught in a tornado and I was in my car. If you can, drive at a 90 degree angle away from the tornado. Don’t think that you can out-run one but try to get out of the tornado’s path.

GIve If You Can

10. Overpass Death Trap! It’s a total fallacy that it’s safe for you to park under an overpass in a tornado. Stats show that it can actually turn the overpass into a wind tunnel. People fare much worse under an overpass. Get away from the tornado if you can, don’t wait for it under an overpass.

I hope this helps you remember what you should do in the event of a tornado.  The American Red Cross could use donations if you would like to help those people affected by these devastating storms.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

tom terhaar May 26, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Thanks Dean….Is always good to refresh….being raised in Minnesota I had forgotton a few facts…
Tom

Dean Hervochon May 27, 2011 at 7:49 am

Thanks Tom. Keep coming back. I’ve got a whole slew of things we need to remember…I think!

Rasha May 26, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I love it… Great advice :-)
So basically I need to go down, wearing a helmet, at mcDonald’s. Got it :-).
Great article as always darling.

Dean Hervochon May 27, 2011 at 7:50 am

And don’t forget about the Big Mac…as so many guys like to call it! Thanks for commenting. xo D

Dean Hervochon June 2, 2011 at 11:20 am

And don’t forget to get close to the hunky guy if you’re stuck in a deep freeze with him! He’ll keep you warm! Thanks Rasha! xo Dean

Karen Faivre May 27, 2011 at 11:36 am

Great tips. My favorite one is to wear a helmet. Since I live in a earthquake zone (Alaska) and not in a tornado zone, I was totally clueless as to what to do if I was ever in that situation. It’s good to know if and when I visit a tornado prone state.

Dean Hervochon June 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I loved that one too. It makes perfect sense. Thanks for your comment and keep coming back. Thanks, Dean

Tom Terhaar May 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Oh! I just went out and got and new helmet and a nice sock for the tornado. I will look ready…

Dean Hervochon June 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’m sure you need a very big sock.

Julia Wolfswinkel June 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Hey Dean, Great advice! We’ve had a number of tornadoes in the Dallas/Ft Worth area this spring. I hadn’t thought of a helmet. I do keep a pair of tennis shoes in my closet, a flash light, water and quilt. Thanks!

tom terhaar June 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Don’t forget a nice sock…..

Dean Hervochon June 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Don’t forget the vodka and ice! xo Thanks for the comment.

tom terhaar June 15, 2011 at 6:43 pm

O.K. Dean ..tornado warning for right now in Chicago Got my Helmet and my sock on …..i’m ready …..everything is very still outside…..but I look great…..love ya tom

Michele July 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Great stuff! I live in Minnesota…hate the tornados but husband will not move because of his job. And we have a vacation spot at a lake…aka…a trailer right on the lake. Its at a resort. It scares me in the summer because a big rain storm almost always turns into a tornado! I hate being up there when it rains. No where to go for shelter.

Dean Hervochon July 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Hey Michele! Well, you do know one place to go if there’s a tornado in the area — OUT of the trailer! Remember the stats about how likely you are to be killed if you stay in a trailer or mobile home when tornadoes strike. And wear your sunscreen when you’re at the lake! Thanks for the comment. Dean