Gay Guy Approved Ice Cream Scoop

by Dean Hervochon on April 30, 2011

Don’t Let the Title Fool You!  This is Important!

I hate to scoop hard ice cream. It’s really difficult to cut into a block of  hard ice cream with a traditional scoop — the edges are never sharp enough and the metal freezes and the ball of ice cream gets stuck — kinda like your tongue to a street sign pole in the middle of winter.  It’s a big deal.

Stop Killing Your Arms!

If you’re using a “soon to be bent” soup spoon…enough said about that. The other issue —  if you’re strong enough to get the ice cream into a traditional ice cream scoop — is that you can’t get the fricken’ ice cream out of the scoop! Even if the scoop has that “swipe” thingy built into it, it just doesn’t really work well and it ruins the shape of the ice cream on its way out. I work out, I’m strong, I eat red meat (whine… and tear rolling down my cheek), there’s got to be a better way!

Good Cook's Smart Ice Cream Scoop

The Best Ice Cream Scoop — in the World!

I’ve found it! The “Good Cook Smart Scoop” is awesome! There is nothing better on the market! Cold Stone Creamery uses them; there’s no question in my mind that their on-the-job injuries decreased dramatically once these babies got in their stores!

This “miracle scoop” is non-stick coated — which helps it cut right through the hardest ice cream; it’s got a sharper edge on the sides of the scoop — that helps a lot. The scoop head is made in two parts—you just squeeze the handles together to scoop. Once you’ve scooped “a perfect scoop” — yes, I did say perfect — you release the handles and voila!  It drops right out of the scoop into your bowl.  It’s a beautiful thing.

Hand Wash Only (unless you’re me)

One issue with it is that it is NOT dishwasher safe — but it  cleans up easily with soap and water. If you run it through the dishwasher (I do because I’m a little lazy!) it starts to loose its “non-stick” coating and it looses “its pretty.”  So, I am suggesting that you wash it by hand.  (Even if it does loose some of its coating, it still works better than any other scoop out there. OK?)

They’re Not Easy To Find

You can find these scoops — in less places than you’d think!  Of course you can buy it on-line and pay about $12.00 for it.  Amazon is a good place or go directly to Good Cook to get it cheaper.  I’ve heard that Albertson’s, Walmart and Target carry it?  Specialty cooking stores probably have it too. Don’t go “hunting” for it — save some gas and just order it online.

If you have this scoop, I’d love to hear your comments about how this has made you so much happier in life.  Like I said, it’s a big deal!   Does anyone else have a great kitchen gadget that needs to be “Gay Guy Approved?”  Let me know.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Kelli Bartlett April 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Thank you Dean for the recommendation!
I need that in my kitchen. I’m going to go
Online and order it!

Dean Hervochon April 30, 2011 at 12:11 pm

You will thank me the first time you use it. Thanks for the comment Kelli. —dean—

mic May 2, 2011 at 8:30 am

Or alternatively – put the pint of ice cream in the microwave for 10 seconds (only) and it will thaw just enough to scoop and eat. Aren’t most peoples kitchen drawers stuffed to the max already?

Dean Hervochon May 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

I personally think that ice cream is much better frozen hard.
Scooping hard ice cream is worth the effort.
You’re right about having too many gadgets —but this one is certainly worth making room for this scoop!
And…who buys ice cream in pints?
We’re talking about Ice Cream here!

Laura May 3, 2011 at 9:15 am

I think I am just going to go skeet shooting and find a guy to scoop my ice cream for me….

Dean Hervochon May 3, 2011 at 9:22 am

Atta girl! Now you’re thinking like a Gay Guy!….

Rene May 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I love this ice cream scoop! I’ve had it for a few years now and its only made it to the dishwasher once or twice thanks to the new hubby! Still it works great! Love your site so glad you were able Lancer!!

Dean Hervochon May 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Rene!
I’m not clear…is it because of the new hubby is washing it by hand now and you used to put it in the dishwasher? Or is it that he’s put it in the dishwasher? Don’t answer that!
Thanks for the comments. Keep coming back. You can “subscribe” and get my posts as I put them on the site. Thanks Again, —dean—

Terry November 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm

This is absolutely without a doubt the very best Ice Cream Scoop. I have bought several of these for both family and friends because they loved mine at first sight.

Dean Hervochon November 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I’m with ya Terry! Good Cook is good stuff — most of the time! Thanks for the comment. Dean